OREO Chocolate Cake
- 20 OREO Cookies
- 2 cups (500 mL) granulated sugar
- 1-3/4 cups (425 mL) flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. (7 mL) EACH baking powder and baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 mL) salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 cup plus 3 Tbsp. (170mL) milk, divided
- 2 tsp. vanilla, divided
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) boiling water
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, softened
- 3 cups (750 mL) powdered sugar, divided
- 3 oz. (85 g) semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) heavy whipping cream, divided
Putting it together
- Heat oven to 350°F. (180°C) Reserve 5 cookies for garnish. Coarsely crush remaining cookies; set aside 1/2 cup (125 mL) crushed cookies for later use in frosting.
- Combine granulated sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Stir in remaining crushed cookies.
- Whisk eggs, oil, 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk and 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla in medium bowl until blended. Add to flour mixture along with the boiling water; beat with mixer until well blended. (Batter will be thin.)
- Pour evenly into 2 greased and floured 9-inch (23-cm) round pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool cake layers 10 min. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat butter with 1 cup (250 mL) powdered sugar and remaining vanilla in large bowl with mixer until blended. Add remaining powdered sugar alternately with remaining milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in reserved crushed cookies. Set aside until ready to stack and frost cake layers.
- Cook semi-sweet chocolate and 1/4 cup (60 mL) cream in small saucepan on low heat just until chocolate is completely melted, stirring constantly; cool slightly. Meanwhile, beat remaining cream in small bowl with mixer on high speed until soft peaks form; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; spread top of cake with 3/4 cup (175 mL) powdered sugar frosting. Cover with remaining cake layer; spread side of cake with remaining frosting. (Do not frost top of cake.)
- Pour chocolate glaze slowly over top of cake, allowing glaze to drip down side of cake.
- Cut reserved cookies in half. Top cake with whipped cream and cookie halves just before serving.
- Nutrition Information Per Serving: 390 calories, 16g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 35mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 44g total sugars includes 43g added sugars, 4g protein
Write Your Own Review