OREO Conchas (by Pati Jinich)
- 0.66 cup whole milk , at room temperature
- 2 pkt. (14 g each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups flour , divided
- 0.33 cup granulated sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Pinch of salt
- 0.5 cup unsalted butter , cut into small cubes, softened
- 0.75 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 10 OREO Cookies , finely crushed
- 0.5 cup powdered sugar
Putting it together
- Add milk to yeast in small bowl; stir. Let stand until ready for use. (Note: Milk needs to be at room temperature in order to activate the yeast.)
- Add 2-1/2 cups flour and granulated sugar to bowl of mixer fitted with dough hook. Add whole egg, egg yolk and salt; beat on low speed 1 min. Gradually add milk mixture, mixing well after each addition. Add butter cubes, a few at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat on medium speed 7 to 8 min. or until dough is shiny and pulls away from side of bowl to form ball around hook. Transfer dough to large greased bowl.
- Cover bowl with clean kitchen towel; place in warm place away from any drafts. Let rise 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until doubled in volume.
- Meanwhile, mash remaining 3/4 cup butter with fork in medium bowl until smooth. Add cookie crumbs, powdered sugar and remaining flour; mix well. Shape into ball; wrap in plastic wrap. Let stand at room temperature until ready to use.
- Roll yeast dough into 24 balls; place on 2 parchment-covered baking sheets. Use moistened hands to roll cookie crumb mixture into 24 small balls; press to flatten. Place on tops of dough balls; press gently into balls to secure. Use tip of sharp knife to cut crisscross mark in top of each ball.
- Let rise in warm place 40 to 45 min. or until doubled in size. About 15 min. before ready to bake, heat oven to 350ºF.
- Bake conchas 15 min. or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks; cool completely.
Write Your Own Review